September 27th, 2011
Have you tried geocaching yet?
Geocaching is an outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS enabled devices. The game involves navigating to a specific set of GPS coordinates, and then working to find the geocache (container) hidden at the location.
According to www.geocaching.com, getting started is as simple as the following:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
The rules are simple:
- If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.
Geocaching has become very popular all around the world, including in the East Kootenays. Both Cranbrook and Kimberley list over 3500 geocaches each. Worldwide, there are almost 1,500,000 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers.
Have fun and don’t forget to share your geocaching adventures with us!
Back To Sept.- Oct. 2011
Back To Main Page